Isn't Everything About Me? Who The Hell Did You Think It Was About, You?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Where Did The Time Go?

Tomorrow night, my daughter is graduating from middle school. I knew the event was coming up and we needed to go out and get a dress for her to wear. "It needs to be black," she said. "Okay, Aren't you a little young to be wearing all black?" I asked. She quickly responded, "Mom! I'm 14!" "Oh, right. I forgot."

We went to tj maxx, or some place like that and dug threw all the racks. I was looking for something with bows on it, while she had something completely different in mind. We finally agreed on a few dresses and off she went to the fitting room. I sat down to wait.

She finally walked out, and for a moment, I didn't recognize her. She was stunning. She looked like she was a young woman getting ready to attack the world. I swallowed quickly and tried to catch my tears before they showed up. "How is it?" she asked. "Its...great. You look amazing. Why is it wrinkled underneath? You need to fix the lining." She giggled and pulled up the skirt to show me she still had her gym shorts on underneath. That's my girl, forever the Tom boy.

She will give a speech tomorrow, as she is the Valedictorian of her class. I will be the woman who is sitting in a puddle on the floor.

Watch out world...my girl is coming.

2 comments:

  1. This post here almost had ME in tears.. proud tears. Good job, mama. I have an awesome 14 year old daughter and a really neat son that just graduated from college in May. AND an older son and daughter that I am truly proud of as well. I can relate to your post so much (and many times!)... My 14 year old is... "the baby" (whispering as she gets on me when I say that out loud, haa!), and.... the house surely is quiet when she's off doing her things. I enrolled in college this last January (passed with all A's, yeah!) so hopefully now that my kids ARE almost all grown up... I can find me again. (pout... wipes tear from cheek)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from the Blog Hop & totally hit home.... Last year, I went through this in a major way. My kids are 10 years apart. My son is my light. Now 19... Graduated from high school & left for boot camp. I had 2 proms, graduation from high school & this February graduation from boot camp. I'm a totally proud momma - but it totally left me with the whole "where did the time go" and mannnnn how did I get so old.

    Added you :)

    Jenn
    My Daily Jenn-ism

    ReplyDelete